Saturday, August 17, 2013

Review: Under the Dome


Under the Dome
Under the Dome by Stephen King

My rating: 3 of 5 stars




I originally rated this as four, but I'm marking down to three after some time to think.

Too much and too long. After reading two thirds of the book I started skimming, a lot. It wasn't so much that it was boring as it was long, really long. I agree with another reviewer that I was after a while thinking, "Get on with it, King!" There were some scenes that were long and seemed go on without real reason.

The reason for the mark down is because the ending had nothing to do with the rest of the book. I felt that I could read the first quarter or so and then the last quarter and not miss anything. Or better way of expressing my thought would be that the middle, what happens with the town and Big Jim's attempt for dominion, could stand alone. If King had made what happened in town as very important, intricately important, with the dome the ending would have been much better. In reality, The Dome was about a stupid man's attempt for power, the dome was really just peripheral.

Big Jim. Phew, that man is stupid and he surrounds himself with idiots so that he can be the smartest man in the room. I have a hard time understanding how he managed to get his operation so large. He's too stupid and he doesn't use smart people in his business.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment